Thousands of students from non-native English backgrounds seek admission to colleges in the USA. A very important question that comes to the mind of these international students seeking admission in the Universities of USA is whether it is possible to study there without IELTS or TOEFL scores. The IELTS and the TOEFL are the eligibility tests for English proficiency. It is an important eligibility criterion for admission to most US colleges and Universities.
Many students have got the required GPA and can meet the other eligibility criteria for admission to the Universities in USA. But these standardized English proficiency tests remain a challenge for most of them. TOEFL and IELTS are standardized tests to examine the reading, writing and listening skills in English of a non-native English language candidate.
If you are being weighed down by the thoughts of not being able to qualify the IELTS or the TOEFL, there is no need to panic. There are options available. There are certain colleges in the USA which allow international admissions without asking for the English proficiency scores as per these tests. These colleges have relaxed norms as far as English proficiency is considered, but you should meet their other eligibility criteria for admission.
Every university has its policy and you should meet the conditions set by them for admission and enrollment to that University. Below we present a list of universities and colleges in the USA that do not ask for IELTS or TOEFL scores as one of the admission criterions.
- State University of the New York– The State University of New York is a public university system in Albany, New York. It also does not ask for mandatory IELTS/TOEFL scores for admission. However, international students have to undertake the Intensive English Language Program (IELP) conducted by the University to seek admission to it.
- University of Colorado- This University allows international admissions to its courses without the English language proficiency proof if
a) The native language of the student is English
- b) the student has finished at least 1 year of full-time education at a U.S. institute
- University of the New Orleans– The University of New Orleans is a public urban university located in New Orleans, Louisiana, US. The University offers conditional admission for international students having degrees or secondary education from selected countries, and who do not have IELTS or TOEFL scores.
- Drexel University– Drexel University is a private research university that has its campuses in Philadelphia and California. This University does not make it mandatory to submit IELTS/TOEFL scores. But the international students have to go through two conditional programs for admission namely: UPREP – University Preparation Summer Program and Bridge Program if the applicant does not meet the language requirement (English).
- California State University– California State University is a public university in California. For admission to this university, the international students do not need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score if they have attended a secondary school or/and a graduate school with English as the medium of instruction.
- University of Iowa– The University of Iowa is a public research university in Iowa City, Iowa. The University gives admission to international students who are qualified but do not have the English proficiency requirement. Here also, the IELTS and TOEFL scores are not mandatory.
- University of Arkansas– This is a public research university located in Fayetteville. Eligible international students need not produce TOEFL/IELTS scores; They must undertake the Intensive English Language Program (IELP) conducted by the University of Arkansas.
Those were the names of some of the Universities in USA which do not ask for English Language proficiency tests of students. But they must comply with their eligibility criteria and follow the alternatives suggested by them.